Wednesday, August 5, 2015

How I Became A Writer: Chicago Writer’s Conference



This past weekend I attended my very first writer’s conference.  It took place at Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois.  I was nervous about attending an event that I considered a next step, or a step up, in my growth as a writer.  I thought I’d be writing this post about  all the great things I learned; and although I enjoyed the sessions at Northwestern, and enjoyed exploring downtown Chicago,  I found that all the classes and seminars I have attended right here in the Quad Cities are not much different than the ones I attended at Northwestern- therefore, I’d say the Quad Cities obviously offers a top notch education!  I ‘m happy to know that I don’t need to travel far from home to find excellence in education. 

Score: Big City- Zero; Quad Cities- 1  J

I remember back when we first moved to the Quad Cities through a job transfer from my husband’s employer.  I found so many opportunities for higher education within just a ten mile radius of my home. That was exciting for me because my home town had one community college, which I attended, and no other colleges for miles and miles around.  I told my husband that I wanted to finish my education before we were transferred to another city. He thought that was a great idea. (By the way, we were never transferred and have made the QC our home!)

While raising a family, I finished my degrees at Western Illinois University, Quad City campus. I also took classes at Scott Community College, St. Ambrose University, and Augustana College.  I left no campus un-used!!!! I've taken many, many classes over the years, but none will top the EIWP that I've talked about in previous posts-- including Northwestern.

This blog post started as an account of my writing conference experience in Chicago and but became a celebration of my community’s higher education options. 

So I must ask you, Can you name something great about your community? Do you take advantage of that great thing? Or sometimes take it for granted? 
Stop and take a look around!

No comments:

Post a Comment