Wednesday, January 20, 2016

My New Job!



Guess what?  I have a new job!  I’m really excited because this job is at one of my favorite places on earth.  I have a LIBRARY job!  EEKK! 
I have been a library groupie (I just made up that phrase. Nope, I didn’t. I Googled it, here’s what I found.) for a very long time.  When new libraries open in my area, I go visit them.  My husband claims that my past-due book fees over the years are what financed my city’s library remodel.  As you can tell, a library job is exactly in my wheel-house!

My library (it’s mine now) is a small town one. I love that!  Because it’s a small operation, I have the opportunity to work in nearly every aspect of library business. I am a circulation clerk so that means I check books out to patrons, as well as get books ready to go to other library sites for patrons to check out.  I check books back in, both for patrons of our library and ones returned from being borrowed at other sites. (I thought after years of being a teacher I wouldn’t need to mentally run through sections of the alphabet to correctly shelve books, but I do.  I wonder if anyone can alphabetize without doing that!)

I get new materials ready to be added to our library, and fix damaged ones too.  And the very best part of my job?  I get to talk with people about books. Books they’ve read, books I’ve read, and books we want to read. WOW!!!  (And I get paid to do it!  DOUBLE WOW!!)

Friends, I’ve wondered about libraries and the effects of the e-books trade on their business.  I’m happy to report that there are many, many people out there still checking out materials from a brick and mortar building.   I think this is because libraries offer so much more than just books.  Our library has many programs for all ages of readers.  We have study rooms and a community room that can easily be reserved.  Computers are available to all patrons.  We have an area for children, and one for teens. We even have a fireplace room.  A cozy den for reading and relaxing.  If you haven’t been to your local library lately, I think it’s time for you to visit.  See you there on Saturday, K? J

As always, be good to yourself.

~Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment