Wednesday, April 19, 2017

My Social Media “Presence”


Image courtesy of Google
They say a writer needs to have “a social media presence” to be a successful author. The sooner the better, they say. By ‘they’ I mean all the web sites I’ve visited, all the articles I’ve read, all the podcasts I’ve listened to, all the books I’ve researched, etcetera, etcetera- that’s the  ‘they’ I’m talking about. They who seem to know. They who have experience. They who have connections. Them guys.

Courtesy of Google Images
That’s one of the reasons I have this here blog. One, to get more practice writing frequently and on a deadline, and, two, because they said I should.

But one site(this blog), does not “ a social media presence” make. My Facebook page can’t really count as a second site because it has nothing to do with reading books or writing books. It’s like most other people’s Facebook pages—you know- filled with pictures of little kiddos dressed up for Easter and dogs doing weird things.

That leaves me with a couple other choices like Instagram and Twitter. (And probably a few  dozen other social media sites that I’m not yet savvy to.)

Image courtesy of Google
Instagram’s focus is on visual media. Take a picture, give it a caption, and post it. Twitter allows pictures, videos and very short posts of just 140 characters or less.  (This is the length and breadth of my social media knowledge.)

My brother-on-law suggested I set up a Twitter account. He said I wouldn’t be sorry. He said I gotta have Twitter if I want a social media presence. So I did. I didn’t have any idea what I was doing. I had to ask a few people for advice and guidance, but that’s o.k.  I’m all about finding out information from those in the know.

And you know what? My brother –in – law was right. I’ve posted my blog to Twitter, but more than that, I’ve tagged some famous people in my tweets. That’s the very best thing about Twitter- you can send a message to ANYONE. 

I’ve receive messages back from (*fan-girl alert, fan-girl alert!*) several published authors!!!!!! EEK!

Courtesy of Google
Blake Crouch, author of, among others, Dark Matter; Heather Gudenkauf, fellow Iowa girl and author of, among others, The Weight of Silence; Ann Hood, author of, among others, The  Book That Matters Most; Sharon Creech, author of, among others Love That Dog; Sonya Sones, author of, among others, Saving Red; and, Kate Messner, author of, among others, Marty McGuire have all tweeted me, liked, or retweeted my messages. So Cool!
.
And, yes, I’ve saved every message I’ve received from these authors. Just like I’ve saved my rejection letters.  They’re all proof that I’m being a mover and a shaker in my chosen field.

Also because of my Twitter activity, bookish places have started to follow me on Twitter! How cool is that!?!
Courtesy of Google Images

Oh, and I just recently opened my private Pinterest board about THE INK OF TIME, so I guess that makes three. Hey, I’m on my way!

Now I just need to sell a book.
Working on that one, too. J

Let me ask you to do this: Seek out the advice of someone you trust on something that’s important to you. Their perspective will give you new perspective.

Until next time,

Be Good to Yourself,

~Nadine


P.S. You can tweet me @ NadineNmr




No comments:

Post a Comment