Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Hiring an Editor: Take Two

As you may know, I was ripped off by a so-called editor back in September. I was premature in writing about hiring her. Once bitten, twice shy, as the saying goes. When I went looking for a new editor, I didn’t check out her editor web page exclusively, like I did the first gal. This time, I looked at all of her social media outlets. Had I done that with my first editor, I would have figured out she was a crack-pot pretty quickly.

But this post isn’t about getting burned and learning a lesson, this post is about My Editor. This time, I hit the jackpot! Five Stars. A+.

The service I hired her for was to provide an Editorial Letter for my manuscript. This means she reads the story and tells me what parts work well and what needs work. I was blown away at the thoroughness of her notations and her understanding of my story!


The editorial letter is eight pages long. She provided an overview of the story (spot on), talked about the setting and some things I could do to make improvements, as well as character POV (point of view), the supernatural elements in the story, backstory, and she also addressed the flashback scenes.

THEN, she broke it all down, chapter-by-chapter! She answered questions I had thought of myself and she gave me a few alternate plot ideas, as well as a load of other thoughtful considerations.

And the best part? My story doesn’t suck. 

This is how I know:My editor said, This is an interesting take on time/space travel, incorporating themes of love, family, loneliness, and belonging, all around the unique setting of tattoo artistry.”

And this: “Toward the end of the story, in Chapter 39, there is a lovely echo to Otto’s flashbacks of his childhood, when he tells Hazel it’s better to be adopted into a loving family than to be raised by a hateful one.”

One more: “Overall, I think the structure of your story and the character arcs that you explore work very well. Since the manuscript is on the light side at 55,000 words, you do have room to explore several scenes more deeply, to fully flesh out Otto’s and Hazel’s thoughts, and their growing feelings for one another. It is a beautiful story about finding love and belonging, and I enjoy the supernatural twist that keeps the mystery going until the end.”


Remember friends, the editorial letter is eight pages long. It is chock full of suggestions to make my story stronger, richer. And I’m going to comb through that document and do everything I can to make THE INK OF TIME the very best story I can.

In the New Year I envision another run with this editor, an appointment with my awesome cover designer, and exploring publication options. Stick with me. It’s getting real now!

Happy New Year!

Until Next Time,

Be good to yourself,


~Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment