Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

I had my very first Jet Ski ride this past week. It was scary. It was fun.

Three friends and I took a girls vacation to Florida for a few days. While we were there someone (named Tara) came up with the idea to rent Jet Skis. (I’m unsure of the actual brand of personal watercraft we used, so for simplicity, we’ll just call it a jet ski- - kind of like facial tissues are called Kleenex. But I digress…)

Yum! Iowa corn-fed! Tastes just like chicken! 
(Courtesy of Google Images.)
I was less than thrilled. I don’t like deep water and I wasn’t too keen on being shark bait. But, I didn’t want to be a party-pooper, so I went along with the idea.

We rented two jet skis and rode double. Two of the girls were experienced drivers and riders.  Two of us had never been on a jet ski. So it was deemed that the experienced girls would drive us newbies around.

Tara rode with Becky. I rode with Karen. Becky is nice. Karen? Not so much.

I knew that riding with Karen would be an adventure. She’s kind of a crazy girl sometimes and even as I protested, she told me to step out of my comfort zone. 

It would be fun, she said.

 This is what I DO NOT want to happen to me!
(Courtesy of Google Images.)
As soon as we hit the end of the no wake zone she hit the gas! I thanked God right then and there that I was holding on tight. I told her that I would be super scared if I fell off and asked her not to do anything that would cause me to do so.  She honored my wish- just barely.  We went straight but we went FAST!  (No donuts! Thank Goodness!)

One time we both bounced on a big wave. Even though I was laughing, I was terrified when we separated from the seat. My zany chauffeur slowed down for a while to let me catch my breath, and from that point forward, if a big wave came our way she either slowed down, or warned me before we went through it.
Karen and me before I peed my pants. (We did wear life jackets.)

I had a blast!  I would do it again. I gave Karen a lot of grief over the next couple of days; contending that her driving abilities were less that optimal, but really, it was so much fun.

I have a pretty long list of fears. Some of them I’m trying to conquer. Some of them are better left alone. The Jet Ski Event was a step forward for me. I’m proud that I didn’t let my fear win out.

But don’t get crazy, here. I’ll never go haunted housing (again). Also, I will never para-sail.
So what fears do you want to conquer? I’ll send my friend Karen right over- she’ll take care of ya!

Until next time,
Be Good to Yourself.

~Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment