Wednesday, July 27, 2016

75 Books


The Parade magazine that comes in our Sunday paper published a “summer reading issue” on June 26th. One of the articles was by author Ann Patchett. She was asked by Parade magazine to list the 75 best books of the past 75 years.  I read her list and I was not that impressed. Anyone can put together a list of best sellers. If she would have listed HER favorites, that might have been more compelling.

So I decided it would be interesting for me to do something like that. I use Goodreads to help me, yet it's still taken me a couple weeks to put my list together. The books I am sharing have all been in the top 100 most popular (not best seller, necessarily) for their year. I am only listing books that I have actually read. (If I did not read a top 100 in a particular year, I simply skipped that year.)

One caveat: Many of the books were not necessarily read by me the year they were published. Simply because A) I didn’t know how to read it yet or B) I hadn’t heard of it yet.

Oh, and one more thing: Since I was born in 1960, I thought I’d  start there and stop at 2015, however, for me 55 books was not enough. Ladies and gentlemen, this list is 75 books long!



Here. We. Go!

1960: Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss.
1961: Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
1962: The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
1963: Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak,
1964: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory By Roald Dahl
1967: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.  (She started this novel when she 
was 15 and published at 17!)
1968: Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel
1969: the Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
1970: Love Story by Erich Segal
1971: The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone (I didn’t read 
this book until I had my one little kiddos.)
1973: Socks by Beverly Cleary
1974: Jaws by Peter Benchley
1975: Forever by Judy Blume
1977: The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
1977: Shanna by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss (This was my first in a long line of adult romance novels!)
1978: Mouse Tales by Arnold Lobel (Used in my teaching years- a great beginner reader book!)
1979: Bunnicula by James Howe
1980: Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel
1981: The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks (My last read aloud to my quickly growing kids!)
1981: Ramona Quimbly, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
1983: Just Go to Bed by Mercer Mayer (A little critter fav in our house!)
1984: Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns
1986: Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg
1987: Owl Moon by Jane Yolen (A great kid book)
1988: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
1989: Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
1991: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (The first is a series—I read them all!)
1993: The Giver by Lois Lowry
1995: Where  the Heart Is by Billie Letts
1997: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
1998: One Thousand White Women: The Journal of Mary Dodd by Jim Fergus
1999: On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
2001: The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
2001: Deception Point by Dan Brown
2002: Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope Osborne (A kid’s book featuring time travel. I love my time travel books!)
2003: The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown
2004: The Jane Austin Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
2005: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (I read the whole series of this one too!)
2005: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
2005: The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards
2006: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
2006: Sarah’s Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
2006: Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace… One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson
2007: The Shack by William Paul Young
2008: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (read the whole series)
2009: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
2009: Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
2010: Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (I still can’t watch the movie…)
2010 I Am Four by Pittacus Lore (Fun Fact: Pittacus Lore is not a real person…the real author is unknown)
2010 Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
2010: The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin
2011: Divergent by Veronica Roth (Read this series too..)
2011: Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James (I didn’t read the others… really, this was more than enough!)
2011: The Martian by Andy Weir (This guy couldn’t get a publisher so he put his book on line chapter by chapter. It was so popular that publishers actually (finally) came to him!!!)
2011: 11/22/63 by Stephen King (A time travel novel- trying to stop the assassination of JFK. Great book!!)
2011: A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard
2012: Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
2012: Gone Girl by Jillian Flynn
2012: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
2012: The Light Between the Oceans by M.L. Stedman
2012: The Rope by Nevada Barr (This is an origin story of how Anna Pigeon became a park ranger. There are several mysteries with her as the central character  that started way back in 2003)
2013: The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty
2013: Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall
2013: Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
2013: Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
2013: Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler
2014: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
2014: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
2014: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
2014: Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel
2015: Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
2015: Girl At War by Sara Novic
2015: Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter
2016: Breaking Wild by Diane Les Becquets

There you have it! Seventy-five winners! I hope you give one (or more) of these books a try.
Until next time,
Be Good to Yourself

~Nadine

http://www.goodreads.com/book/popular_by_date/

No comments:

Post a Comment