Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Keep Calm and Work Part-Time

I am the oldest child in my family. As the first born child, I tend to be a self-starter, hard worker, and independent thinker. In my professional life I was successful, in part, because of my first born traits.
 





When retirement time came, I was ready to step out of the stressful hustle-bustle of my career and slow down a bit.  However, I knew that I would want a part time job after retirement- I couldn’t just stop everything and sit around the house watching dust bunnies grow under my couch.


And now, that time has finally come. And I love it! I’m  much less stressed and I enjoy the work I do. But you know what? It’s hard for me to control my “first born” instincts. I’m still getting used to the idea of being a peon. Being a peon is not a bad deal. Really. I do my job, I don’t have big decisions to make, therefore, I don’t have any career responsibility stress.


Except sometimes, I don’t just do my job. I’ve made the mistake of “making an executive decision,” when my job description is clearly not at that caliber. I’m still learning where the line in the sand is. I’m a hard conscientious worker and my employer appreciates that. Now if I can just mellow out and just do MY job. Only.  

The struggle is real.

So, I ask, what are you learning about yourself these days?

Until next time,

Be Good to Yourself,
~Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment