Wednesday, October 5, 2016

THE Vows

Wedding vows are what I'm talking about.

In this past month, we've had three weddings to attend. Weddings are fun. They're all about celebration and anticipation. They're all about making commitments and renewing commitments.

...for better, for worse. In sickness and health, until death do us part...

We, who are married, have said these grave yet sincere words with lightness in our hearts. Of course we mean them, but at that moment we can't fully grasp the concept of their seriousness. 

It's probably part of God's grand design.

This weekend, I was graced with the opportunity to witness these very vows in action. Friends from back in the Glory Days of our youth, softball leagues, and newly married life are fighting cancer. It's a family battle, to be sure.

Cancer is a mean MotherFu%#@r.  A group of three couples from the Glory Days went to visit this couple at their home near the beach. Of the eight of us, you would be hard pressed to tell which one of us is sick. Our friend looks fit and strong.

But he's not. There is no drug or treatment to help him. Their family is living on borrowed time. I just can't imagine it.

I find myself fighting the urge to ask God how and why this happens to good people. I know I can't, because the answer is not for me to know. Not yet anyway.

I try to only look at the graces, the positives of this situation, that have come to this couple in their time of need. There are many. People of their community have reached out to support them. I am grateful for that, since they live so far from family and old friends.

I am grateful for my friends' strong commitment in each other. I am grateful for my friend's beautiful sense of humor.
I am grateful for my ability to travel to visit people and places. I never take that for granted.
I am grateful for my health. I never take that for granted either.
I am grateful that I have the ability to work.
I am grateful for my family and friends.

I send my love to Surfer Girl and Softball Guy.

Until next time,
Be Good to Yourself and your spouse.

~Nadine




No comments:

Post a Comment