Wednesday, May 10, 2017

My One Hundredth Blog Post!

This, friends, is my ONE HUNDREDTH post!

One hundred weeks of blogging. One hundred ideas. One hundred. Wow!

When I taught first grade, we celebrated the hundredth day of school in a big way. The kids went to different stations or centers for an allotted time and created / worked on an activity that focused on the numeric value of one hundred items.

Some of the activities included dressing up like a 100 year old person and getting your picture taken, writing 100 words down from around the classroom, use 100 wooden blocks or Legos to build something, and put together 100 piece puzzles.

But the favorite activities for the kids involved using food.  They made Froot Loop necklaces where every tenth one was a Cheerio. Upon completion of their necklace, they were required to count by tens for the teacher helper before they put their necklace on. (By the end of the day, most of the kids had a circle of soggy yarn around their neck, having eaten all off all of the cereal.) The kids also loved the 100 Snack table. We provided 10 different finger foods, like marshmallows, raisins, and M&M’s and the kids counted out ten of each, put them in a zip lock baggie, creating a 100 piece snack.

The whole day promoted mathematical language and concept knowledge of exactly just how much one hundred really is.

I’ve decided to carry on that creative tradition from first grade right here. Below you’ll find a list of one hundred things I like- in no particular order- I’ll list them as they pop into my brain.

My Favorite Things
1.    Wearing my socks inside out
#14
2.    Calling boogers “moejies”
3.    Calling fingers “weemoes”
4.    Coffee my husband makes
5.    Coffee in bed in the morning
6.    Good hair days
7.    Finding notes from loved ones on my kitchen counter
8.    Walking in the woods
9.    Riding my bike
10. Planting my flower boxes
11. Tilling and raking the garden
12. My writing desk, built by my son
13. Quoting movies
#16
14. Reading, reading, reading
15. Getting in the zone when writing
16. My dog(s – over the years)
17. Outfits that make me look thinner
18. Bracelets
19. Shopping for bargains
20. A full pantry and ‘fridge
21. The sound of children playing outside
22. Listening to children read
23. Eagles flying over the lock & dam on the Mississippi River
24. Spiritual reading and note taking
25. Talking with writers about writing
26. That cornflower blue of the sky in July in Iowa
27. Crafting with friends
28. Cape Cod drink mixed by my husband
29. Hershey’s Kisses
#66, #99
30. Re-sale shopping
31. New tennis shoes
32. Fuzzy blankets
33. Ticonderoga # 2 soft pencils
34. The ocean
35. Batman
36. Smell of freshly mown grass
37. Giant Oak trees
38.  The color indigo
39. Quiet
40. Teva brand sandals
41. Bread
42. Well-defined leg muscles
43. The Chicago Cubs
44. Traveling by plane
45. Paper and journals and markers and pencils and pens(Staples is a slice of heaven for me)
#34, #60 
46. Reading to my grandchildren
47. Teaching myself a new skill like quilting or knitting
48. Thunder
49. Astronomy
50. Libraries
51. “Classic” Rock
52. Country Music
53. Johnny Cash
54. Adam Levine
#55, #99
55. The Eagles
56. Livestock barns at the fair
57. Clydesdale Horses
58. Campfires 
59. Seeing the deep layers of stars, so far out there, on a dark night
60. Painted toenails
61. Hoodies
62. Watching my daughter be a mom
#76
63. The Breakfast Club
64. Shawshank Redemption
65. Juno
66. Book club
67. Jake Gyllenhaal
68. Mayim Bialik as Amy Farrah Fowler
69. Alien Abduction skit  on SNL, December 18, 2016 (find it on YouTube)
70. The Outlander Series- books and HBO - by Diana Gabaldon
71. Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser
72. Post-it-notes
73. Mexican food
74. Face Time
75. When I remember to be thankful, grateful-  and not take God’s graces for granted
#75 I took this while in the car wash. The words on the door
say, " Doors Open Automatically"

76.  Being patriotic- this is the best country in the world!
77. That sound of fingers sliding down the guitar strings of a fretboard =vvvurp!
78. A  clean bath towel EVERY DAY – no ‘hang and re-use’ for this girl!
79. Dancing around the house to songs on the radio
80. Quote by Herbert Hoover, 31st POTUS, from West Branch, IOWA: “My country owes me nothing. It gave me, as it gives every boy and girl, a chance. It gave me schooling, independence of action, opportunity for service and honor. In no other land could a boy from a country village, without inheritance or influential friends, look forward with unbounded hope.”
#27, #92
81. Air conditioning
82. Weaving baskets
83. A fan blowing on me as I sleep
84. Origami
85. Crickets chirping
86. Time-travel themed novels
87. Birds singing their wake-up songs
88. Author Stephen King
89. Yellowstone National Park
90. Battle Hymn of the Republic
91.  The new, sweet smell of infants
# 95
92. Sea turtles
93. Kid President (find him on You Tube)
94. Glitter on kid’s crafts
95. My three granddaughters wearing matching outfits
96. Red hair. Love the gingers!
97. Red and Rover comic strip by Brian Basset
98. Crossword puzzles
99. Great friends who, even after not seeing them for a while, are right there
100.      And last but not least, my loving, hard-working, goofy, crazy family!


When I first started this list, I thought I’d never make it to one hundred, but after I got going it was a revitalizing exercise. It took me a couple of days to complete, but that’s ok. I challenge you to create your own list. 
#100

Take a look around. Open your heart to recognize the simple things that give you joy. It will be fun!

Until next time,
Be Good to Yourself,
~Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment