Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Gracie Bear Roth



I was walking my dog, Gracie, the other day. That’s not unusual for a dog owner. But I was also talking to her while we were walking- maybe also not so unusual for a dog owner.  But talking to my dog got me thinking about how many (sometimes) silly things do because I have a pet dog. I came up with a pretty extensive list without even trying! So here it goes…

You know you love your dog when:

 You turn on the heated seat on the passenger side of your car so the dog won’t be cold when she goes on a ride with you.

Your buy dog toys for your dog to give other dogs as gifts for Christmas.

You sign your dog’s name, along with the rest of the family’s names, to cards being mailed.

You leave the radio or TV on when you’re gone so the dog won’t be lonely.

You say “I’m sorry” to the dog when you accidentally step on or trip over them.

You find another place to sit because you don’t want to disturb the dog while she’s sleeping.
Shhhhh... She's sleeping...

You play ball with the dog, even when you don’t feel like it.

Guarding the back yard
with a stick in her mouth.
You know when your dog wants to play ball. My dog squeaks the ball as she pushes it against my leg.

You give your dog chores. “Watch the house while we’re gone, girl.”

You talk about your husband to your dog and you refer to him as Daddy. “Daddy will be home soon, girl.”

Gracie Bear.
You give your dog a middle name. Our dog got her middle name “Bear” because when she was just a baby pup she looked like a bear cub. Her coat is still the texture and color I would imagine a bear cub’s to be.


I’m sure the list could go on and on.

Cesar Milano, The Dog Whisperer, says when he dies he wants to come back as an American dog. He says that only in America are dogs so spoiled. I think that is because of a couple of things. First, the Industrial Revolution. American dogs don’t really have to work anymore. Farming and ranching (and really everything) is much more mechanized that ever before. Therefore, farm dogs don’t have as much work to do.  As for city dogs--I’m not sure if city dogs have ever really had a job other than companionship. Maybe some could have worked as guard dogs, I don't know.
Second, we are a less neighborly nation than we used to be. We live in such a rush-rush- dog-eat-dog-world (no pun intended). People have so little time to relax and enjoy themselves. Life can be stressful. Dogs fulfill a need. They’re a source of duty, comfort, and companionship.

Kisses from Gracie.
There’s another saying. “Dog is God spelled backwards.”  Maybe so. Both are compassionate, forgiving, loving, and loyal. Both will lead us from trouble/temptation if we let them.
And as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. And have a dog. :)

Until next time,

Be Good to Yourself.

~Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment