Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Pet Peeves and Other Stuff


Today, being Wednesday- blog day- I was thinking about what my blog topic should be (and not a moment too soon, right?) As I have stated in previous posts, I do procrastinate. Thank goodness I have God on my editorial team*,because at just the right moment a breeze blew the curtains up and over the couch. I immediately took a detour from my planned destination into the front room to fix the curtains. I put them neatly back behind the couch. That’s when I got my writing idea for today. Messy curtains are one of my pet peeves. I can’t stand curtains that are uneven or messy. I think I inherited this peeve from my mom.

I gave this idea a little more thought and I realized that I ALWAYS make sure the double-hung windows are open at EXACTLY the same height. This morning Tim opened windows and left them uneven. I HAD to fix them.

Another pet peeve of mine is when people don’t use coaster. Jeesh, that bugs me! But my biggest pet peeve is when people use books as a writing surface. I HATE that! Whether the book is opened or closed, it does not matter -press on the cover or press on the pages and I don’t like it! I have to ask the writer to move their paper to the desk/table/counter-top. Ever noticed grooves from a pen pressing down in a book? So, so, so sad.

A pet peeve is defined as an irritable experience caused by another and is complained about by the person offended/disturbed.  You know, it’s that thing that you can’t bite your tongue about. You can’t just let it go.


Another disgusting thing is when people go into pool or beach bathrooms barefooted.  That is gross, but I’m not sure if it’s a pet peeve- as long as nobody I’m with does it!!

“Dishonest people” is not a pet peeve.  “People who read while they’re driving” is not a pet peeve. They are complains that are too real, too big to be a pet peeve.  Pet peeves have to be seemingly little, inconsequential things with inconsequential repercussions.

Did you know one of author Stephen King’s pet peeves is the showing of advertisements before movies? LA Ink’s tattoo artist Kat Von D’s pet peeve is people who wear earpieces to talk on the phone but refuse to take them off when they’re not on the phone.

I think we are all wired to have pet peeves, but I don’t know why that is so. The world can be difficult enough sometimes with the real problems we have to deal with. Maybe when we think of our pet peeves, we should say to ourselves, “If this is the only thing I have to complain/worry about right now, I’m doing. OK!”
Until next time,

Be Good to Yourself,

~Nadine

* I’m not being blasphemous, here.  I try to recognize and then thank God for all my graces, big and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment