Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign

My phone’s storage was at maximum capacity and I was having difficulty sending things so I decided it was time to go through my pictures and delete the junk and then download the rest onto my computer. As I was scrolling it occurred to me that I take a lot of pictures of signs. Maybe it’s my love of words or maybe it’s my darker side’s sense of humor. Or maybe it’s both.

In 1970, Canadian rock group called Five Man Electrical Band had a song called “Signs.” Back in the day, you could buy an individual song to play on a record player. It was called a 45. Since there were 2 sides to every record, the other side - the B-side, or flip side – was typically a song that wasn’t going to make much of a commotion in the music world.  This particular song was the B-Side and it went BIG! (In 1990, some twenty years later, the band Tesla re-released “Signs." They changed the lyrics a bit as to create a more up-to-date/raw version fitting for the day and times.)


I got a kick out of seeing these signs on my phone again and thought you might too. I’ll throw in a little of Five Man E B's lyrics just for fun!


I was at a stoplight and noticed the sign (right)
on the back of a pick-up (above).
 "A Bar Walks Into A Man"
A gas station in Wisconsin. I guess it's a contest! (?) 


An old building in Boston. The date:
August 4  A.D. 1817
(I'm pretty sure the  plug in was added later!)
This sign was in the door at a real legit. business in the Quad City area!



"And the sign said, "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said, "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"
So I took off my hat, I said, "Imagine that, huh, me workin' for you"
Whoa, oh, oh"
A sign back stage at the Grand Ol Opry (Above)
The famous Tootsies in Nashville (Below)









Climax Springs, Missouri
French Lick, Indiana got a lot of attention this past weekend!
Who names these places anyway?


My father-in-law's fav saying: "You can sleep when you're dead"
Scared the crap out of my kids when they were little!


On a building at a Y intersection in Nashville, TN
I may have gotten carried away here....and I have more signs that I didn't share! 



The end of the song goes like this:





"And the sign said, 'Everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray'

But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all

I didn't have a penny to pay

So, I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign

I said, 'Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me, I'm alive and doin' fine,' woo"





Until next time,

Be Good to Yourself!
~Nadine

No comments:

Post a Comment