Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Yoda

Courtesy of Google Images.
Yoda is my favorite Star Wars character. I am a big fan the of the original trilogy (movies 4, 5, and 6) but not so much a fan of the prequel trilogy (movies 1,2, and 3). Now that the story continues with sequel trilogy, Star Wars merchandise includes cool stuff from the original trilogy.
I took this picture of my t-shirt.

I got this sweet Yoda t-shirt a few days ago. What I love about it, besides Yoda’s grandma-ish face,(his kind, wise eyes and calm demeanor remind me of my Grandma Hill) are his words of wisdom. They’re free!

The tear-off tags are a la college bulletin board style. The free words of wisdom are available to anyone who wants. Just tear one off!


1. May the Force be with you.
2. Do or do not. There is no try.
3. –torn off—
4. Size matters not. (That’s what….. HA! Too easy!)
5. You must feel the Force around you.
6. Fear is the path to the Dark Side.
7. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
8. Always in motion the future is.
9. Mind what you have learned. Save you it can.
10. –torn off—
11. You must learn control. (It should say “Control you must learn.” Apparently this one got by the Yoda verbiage expert .)
12. The Dark Side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is. (Yoda expert, you're needed again..)
13. Named must your fear be, before banish it you can.

When I was in college, I frequently “Yoda’d” information to avoid  any  possibility of accusations of plagiarism. Let me show you what I mean.

From Stephen King’s On Writing. Page 210, second paragraph: “The great thing about writing with the door shut is that you find yourself forced to concentrate on the story to the exclusion of practically everything else.”

So, if I was writing a paper about Stephen King’s advice and I couldn’t figure out a way to put it into my own words, I’d simply reword the sentence backwards. I would “Yoda” it. Like this:

‘Stephen King says to concentrate on the story to the exclusion of everything else, you must write with the door shut.’

O.K. it’s not literary genius, I know, but it got the job done!  You gotta love Yoda!

On a separate but related note, I wonder what free words of wisdom were on tag number three and ten?

Send me your ideas.  It will be fun.
Courtesy of Google Images.

Until next time,
Good to yourself be.
~Nadine


P.S. I wore my Yoda shirt for the first time today. It took me a while to figure out why more people than usual smiled at me…

No comments:

Post a Comment