Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Ask a Compelling Question

I went to a party last weekend. It took place in a garage on a warm September night. Everything was very casual and relaxed. Including the napkins.

Yep. The napkins.  

They caught my attention right away. I started rifling through the pile  so that I could read all of them. There were about eight different designs. 

These were my favorite.

The first one is a drawing of a Weiner dog on a skateboard. Above it says: WHAT’S THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS THING YOU SAW TODAY?

Courtesy Google Images
Next to that one is a drawing of a guy holding a smelly sock in each hand. You can tell the socks are smelly because the wavy lines radiating from each sock is the universal drawing signal of stink. Just ask Pepe Le Pew. 


The question asks: WHAT DID YOU DO TO CHANGE THE WORLD TODAY?  (The guy says “I changed my socks. That counts.”)

The third napkin shows a drawing of a dog in a suit and tie carrying a brief case. The title says: SWAP DAY! WHO WOULD YOU SWITCH WITH AND WHY?

The final napkin has two drawings. One of a guy surfing a huge wave and the next of (I presume) his legs and feet upside down sticking out of the water. It says” WHAT PART OF YOUR DAY WAS MAD WAVES. AND WHAT PART WAS A TOTAL WIPEOUT?

Google Images.

These napkins remind me of when my kids were in school. If I asked them, “How was your day?” or “What did you do/learn at school today?” the answers were as vague as the questions. 



So I got smarter. I asked more direct questions such as, “What was the coolest thing that happened today?” and “What was the grossest thing that happened today?”  

Now those questions produced some very interesting answers! (Like the time a student got his finger stuck in a hole in his desk and the school had to call 911 because his finger was so swollen he couldn’t get in out.)


You know the drill. Google Images.
It’s good to reflect on your day. It’s good to ask yourself pointed questions. That’s how we grow and learn about ourselves. That’s how we become aware of how we affect others.


I’ll play the napkin game, but you have to also, okay?
The most outrageous thing I saw today was two wasps fighting or copulating, I’m not sure which, on the porch floor. I’ve never seen that before!

What did I do to change the world today? Well, I walked from Target to Best Buy instead of driving. They’re next to each other with only a small ravine between each store’s parking lots. I saved some gas and made a little less pollution.

If I had a Swap Day, I’d want Tim to go with me. BUT, I’d swap with JK Rowling or Dan Brown or SE Hinton for a day. See what it’s like to have the literary mind and chops of these folks.

Mad Waves today? I spent at least six hours (not all at once) writing today. And I ate at Steak & Shake (a treat!)
Wipe Out today? As of this moment, I haven’t received an email correspondence I’ve been waiting for. Frustrating!

Now it’s your turn.  Go ahead. It’s fun!

Until next time,

Be Good to Yourself!

~Nadine


No comments:

Post a Comment