Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Hiring An Editor

I’ve talked about my novel, THE INK OF TIME, a lot on this blog. I’ve been working on it for a long time. And as you may know, I’ve been kicked in the pants by my baby sister to get this project to its next stage. See “My Sister Says Tick-Tock,” posted this past April.

I’m happy to say, after much research, I have hired an editor! 

Image courtesy of Google
I typed “Editors for Hire” into Google and started by just clicking on everything that came up. And I looked a lot of web sites.  I came up with a list of about seven editors that felt right to me. I wanted someone unassuming and reasonably priced.  (You’d be surprised at how many editors’ web sites were just the opposite of these two things!)


Also, I really needed an editor who likes science fiction. THE INK OF TIME is not hard-core Sci-fi, it doesn’t take place in a strange new world, but it does have time travel, which is considered a subcategory of science fiction.

Image courtesy of Google
As I've said, I made a list of seven names, out of a million. That seemed like a good start, so I went back though those seven and starred my top three picks. A few days later, I looked up the first starred name on the list and thoroughly went over her web site. I really liked what I saw.



Like all the other editors, she offered a variety of serves in a range of intensity. Such as ‘light edit’ or ‘heavy edit,’ etc. All services were described and suggestions  given as to which service one might need most/first.

Image courtesy of Google
However, this editor went a step further. She provided samples of a light and heavy edit of the same document. An apples-to-apples comparison. That really got me interested.



So I emailed her. And she emailed back!

I’ve asked her to do a Manuscript Evaluation of THE INK OF TIME. She will read my novel two times and then write a detailed critic letter about the work. She told me it would take her (only) three business days to get back with me.

I’m on pins and needles! I’m not scared. I’m excited.  I think I’ve grown emotionally as a writer. I’m becoming more confident in my work. Oh, I know I’ll have to make revisions and changes and who-knows-what, but I say “Bring it on!”

Image courtesy of Google
I’m not there yet, friends. But I’m closer than I was yesterday.

Until next time,

Be Good to Yourself.

~Nadine


P.S. If this partnership works out, I’ll share my editor with ya’ll!

No comments:

Post a Comment